Overview of Nan Ya PCB
Nan Ya PCB is a leading manufacturer of printed circuit boards (PCBs) and laminate materials. Founded in Taiwan in 1958, Nan Ya has grown to become one of the largest PCB producers in the world. The company operates state-of-the-art facilities in Taiwan, China, Malaysia, and Vietnam.
Some key facts about Nan Ya PCB:
- Headquarters in Taoyuan, Taiwan
- Founded in 1958
- Employs over 15,000 people worldwide
- Operates 5 PCB plants and 3 copper clad laminate plants
- Annual revenue over $1 billion USD
- Produces over 1 million square meters of PCBs per month
Nan Ya manufactures a wide range of PCB products including:
- Double-sided, multilayer, and HDI PCBs
- Rigid, flex, and rigid-flex PCBs
- PCBs for consumer electronics, communications, automotive, industrial, and medical applications
In addition to PCB fabrication, Nan Ya is a major producer of copper clad laminates. These laminate materials are used as the base for manufacturing printed circuit boards.
Applications of Nan Ya PCBs
Nan Ya PCBs are used in a diverse range of end products including:
- Consumer electronics such as smartphones, tablets, laptops
- Networking and telecom equipment
- LED lighting systems
- Automotive electronics including instrument panels and engine control units
- Industrial control equipment
- Medical devices
The company produces PCBs capable of meeting the needs of the most demanding applications. This includes:
- High density interconnect (HDI) PCBs with microvias for space-constrained devices
- High thermal performance PCBs for power electronics and LEDs
- High frequency PCBs for RF and microwave circuits
- Flexible and rigid-flex PCBs for dynamic flexing and bending
- Extreme thermal shock resistance for automotive under-hood electronics
Nan Ya works closely with customers throughout the design and development process to create custom PCBs optimized for each application. Their technical expertise in PCB technology ensures customers get boards fabricated to the highest standard of quality and reliability.
Copper Clad Laminates from Nan Ya
In addition to PCB fabrication, Nan Ya is a major producer of copper clad laminate materials used in PCB production. The company operates three specialized laminate plants capable of producing over 300,000 metric tons annually.
Nan Ya’s laminate materials include:
FR-4 glass epoxy is the most common base material for rigid PCBs. Key properties include:
- Glass transition temperature of 130-140°C
- Good mechanical strength
- Flame resistant (self-extinguishing)
- Cost effective material
FR-4 is suitable for the majority of commercial and industrial electronics operating at frequencies below 5 GHz. Nan Ya produces high quality FR-4 laminates in a range of thicknesses from 0.4mm to 3mm.
High Frequency Laminates
For high frequency applications above 5GHz, standard FR-4 laminates exhibit unacceptable signal loss. Nan Ya produces a range of high frequency laminate materials including:
- PTFE (Teflon) Laminates: PTFE is ideal for frequencies up to 100 GHz. It has excellent signal integrity at high frequencies along with very low loss. However, it is a relatively expensive material.
- BT (Bismaleimide Triazine) Laminates: BT laminates have excellent high frequency performance with lower cost than PTFE. They can operate up to 77GHz.
- CEM (Composite Epoxy Material) Laminates: CEM combines glass fabric reinforcement impregnated with a mixture of epoxy and PTFE resin. It provides high frequency performance at a lower cost than pure PTFE laminates.
High Tg Laminates
For PCBs used at elevated temperatures, standard FR-4 laminates (Tg 130-140°C) can present issues like delamination and barrel cracking. Nan Ya offers high Tg laminates with glass transition temperatures above 170°C:
- FR-5 Laminates: Upgraded version of FR-4 with Tg above 170°C and improved thermal and mechanical performance.
- Polyimide Laminates: Exceptional thermal performance for the most demanding applications. Polyimide laminates have Tg values from 240-280°C. However, they are also relatively expensive materials.
Metal Core PCB Laminates
Metal core PCBs use an aluminum or copper substrate for high thermal performance. The metal core is coated with dielectric material and offers heat dissipation capabilities surpassing traditional glass fabric laminates.
Nan Ya’s Laminate Portfolio
|FR-4||Standard glass epoxy laminate||Mainstream electronics below 5GHz|
|FR-5||High Tg FR-4 variant||Ruggedized electronics|
|PTFE||PTFE-glass fabric, Tg 250°C||Microwave and mmWave circuits|
|BT||Bismaleimide triazine epoxy||Radar, communications, automotive electronics|
|CEM-1||Composite epoxy material||Cost-effective microwave PCBs|
|Polyimide||All-polyimide, Tg >240°C||Extreme environment electronics|
|IMS||Insulated metal substrate||LED lighting, automotive electronics|
|AIN||Aluminum nitride substrate||High power LEDs, power electronics|
This diverse laminate portfolio allows Nan Ya to meet the needs of nearly any PCB application from mainstream consumer electronics to high reliability aerospace and defense applications. Extensive R&D investment allows the company to continually develop innovative new laminate materials.
Nan Ya PCB Technology
Nan Ya has continuously expanded its PCB fabrication capabilities over six decades in business. The company operates multiple advanced PCB facilities with the latest technologies and equipment.
PCB Circuitization Capabilities
- Line width/space: 2mil line/2mil space
- Via hole diameter: 8mil (0.2mm) laser drilled and plated holes
- Pad size: Down to 4mil (0.1mm) finished pad size
- Stacked microvias: 1-2-3 high stacked microvias
- Blind and buried vias: For greater routing density
- Skip vias: Improved electrical performance and lower cost
High Density Interconnect (HDI)
Nan Ya produces advanced HDI multilayer boards with microvias and thin dielectric layers down to 2mil for increased routing density. This technology is essential for miniaturized electronics like smartphones, tablets, and wearables.
Combining rigid and flexible materials in one PCB allows dynamic flexing and bending in certain areas of the board. Nan Ya’s rigid-flex capabilities are utilized in products like laptops and mobile phones.
In addition to the wide range of laminate materials, Nan Ya offers PCB metalization in:
- Immersion silver
- Immersion tin
- Electroless nickel immersion gold (ENIG)
- Organic solderability preservative (OSP)
Nan Ya can produce PCBs across a wide range of thicknesses:
- Rigid boards from 0.2mm to 3.2mm
- Flexible circuits down to 25μm (1 mil)
- Rigid-flex combinations with varied material thicknesses
Key Benefits of Using Nan Ya PCBs
There are many benefits to utilizing Nan Ya’s PCB and laminate solutions:
Expertise and Experience
- Over 60 years experience in PCB manufacturing
- Industry leading R&D and process engineering teams
- Extensive laminate materials expertise
- Longstanding customer relationships and feedback
- Automated optical inspection (AOI)
- 100% electrical testing
- ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 certified facilities
- High first pass yields
- State-of-the-art equipment and processes
- High density interconnect and microvia capabilities
- Rigid, flex, and rigid-flex expertise
- Capability to produce the most challenging designs
- Economies of scale from high production volumes
- Established supply chains provide access to raw materials
- Manufacturing facilities located in low cost regions
- Experienced customer service teams
- Quick-turnaround prototypes and new product introductions
- Real-time production monitoring and reporting
By leveraging Nan Ya’s expertise, customers can get high quality PCBs tailored exactly to their application needs. Close customer collaboration throughout the design cycle ensures an optimized, cost-effective result.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions about Nan Ya PCB and their laminate materials:
What types of designs can Nan Ya manufacture?
Nan Ya has extensive capabilities to produce even the most complex PCB designs. They routinely manufacture double-sided, multilayer, HDI, rigid-flex, and metal core PCBs.
What laminate materials does Nan Ya offer?
Nan Ya has a broad portfolio spanning mainstream FR-4, high frequency materials (PTFE, BT, CEM), and high thermal laminates (FR-5, polyimide). They also produce specialized laminates like IMS and AIN.
Does Nan Ya offer prototyping and quick-turn services?
Yes, Nan Ya provides rapid prototyping with standard lead times of 5 days for simple designs. They also support specialized quick-turn services for urgent new product introductions and design revisions.
What industries use Nan Ya PCBs?
Nan Ya PCBs and laminates are used in nearly every electronics sector including consumer, communications, automotive, industrial, and medical applications.
How can I get a quote for Nan Ya PCBs?
Contact a Nan Ya sales representative with your PCB design files, specifications, and volume requirements to get a free quote. Nan Ya’s team will respond quickly with competitive pricing.